Top Ways to Cut Your Home Heating Bills
With winter hitting the Midwest, the one of the best ways to save money on home heating bills is to properly maintain your heating system, regardless of the type of furnace or boiler you use.
- Have the furnace serviced regularly, preferably before it gets really cold. If need be, this can be done during the colder months, too.
- Replace furnace filters when they are dirty. That can depend on different factors in your home. Between one and three months is recommended.
- When it’s time to replace your furnace, look for the most energy efficient model you can find. Seek out advice from a reputable company on what size furnace would work best for your home.
- Remember using space heaters and fireplaces for heat is not energy efficient.
- To save money, lower your thermostat to 65 during the day if you’re not around and again at night when you’re sleeping.
- A programmable thermostat can make it easy to schedule a temperature adjustment. You don’t risk forgetting to make a change.
Avoid the Draft
No matter how efficient your furnace is, it will still be cold if you have drafty windows and open flues on your fireplace.
- Replacing windows, even a few at a time, is the best way to avoid drafts.
- If that’s out of the budget, use a heavy-duty, clear plastic sheet and tape to the inside of the window. Seal it tight with a hair dryer.
- Consider adding insulated drapes or wide-slat wood or faux wood blinds to block out the draft.
- If you’re not using the fireplace, make sure you close the flue so cold air doesn’t come down the chimney.
- Caulk or weather-strip drafty doors and windows.
Take Advantage of Incentive Programs
Remember that most utility companies offer home audits to help you prioritize what you need to do to be more energy efficient. There are also rebate programs that take the edge off purchasing a major spend item like a new furnace. Insulation or an extra layer of insulation can be one recommendation that comes out of an audit, too. Insulation keeps the warm air from escaping and lowers heating bills, too.
When you put all of these heat-saving tips together, the results can add up to real dollars. For all your heating, cooling and insulation needs, contact Arctic Insulation at 319-261-1000. Whether it’s insulation, HVAC systems or siding and windows, Arctic can help.